G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

swap gears?

+5
Landonus
rebel101150
Graham Perkins
dynchel
pila
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

swap gears? Empty swap gears?

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:12 pm

General question for you experienced forum members. My chevelle has 3.08 gears it looks like and I know it's holding the car back quite a bit. How hard would it be to swap them out and what's the highest I could go to? I'm going to be pushing my 350 to about 350 horsepower soon so I want her quick as possible.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

swap gears? Empty Re: swap gears?

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:24 pm

You have to know what you are doing to set up a rearend. It requires special tools and ability. Most guys sent setting up rearends and transmissions to the pros. As for what gears thats up to you 411's will get you up and moving in a hurry but you will run out of steam at about 55 mph. I have 373's and they limit top speed somewhat also. 342's would be a good compromise. It all depends what you want. Very Happy
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:46 pm

dynchel wrote:You have to know what you are doing to set up a rearend. It requires special tools and ability. Most guys sent setting up rearends and transmissions to the pros. As for what gears thats up to you 411's will get you up and moving in a hurry but you will run out of steam at about 55 mph. I have 373's and they limit top speed somewhat also. 342's would be a good compromise. It all depends what you want. Very Happy

well i'd be paying my local guy to do it. Whatever I can't do I have him do usually. 373 sounds like a decent option then. Any place you know of where I can I get some? online places. these 3.08's are just awful

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Might want to look into transmissions. Is yours auto or standard shift? I had an M22 with 342's in a 75' Nova with a 350 .60 and it would run 3,600 rpm at 80 mph in 4th gear. It's the best set up I could find for daily driving mpg wise and still having a bit of kick. It's the only time I messed with the gear ratio in any of my cars. I remember doing a lot of homework and asking a lot of people. Wish I hadn't shed it but I have my G3 to thank for it.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Also, I'll check the Laguna tomorrow and see what the gears are. I HIGHLY doubt it's a posi but if it is I'll be keeping it.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Landonus wrote:Might want to look into transmissions. Is yours auto or standard shift? I had an M22 with 342's in a 75' Nova with a 350 .60 and it would run 3,600 rpm at 80 mph in 4th gear. It's the best set up I could find for daily driving mpg wise and still having a bit of kick. It's the only time I messed with the gear ratio in any of my cars. I remember doing a lot of homework and asking a lot of people. Wish I hadn't shed it but I have my G3 to thank for it.

apparently my message didnt post. well I unfortunately have an auto, wish it was a standard. I work from home so i'm not really worried about mpg, if i'm gonna go somewhere I wanna have fun doing it. I just want the fastest acceleration and don't wanna fall on my face, because right now shes losing steam at 35 she stops accelerating as quickly

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Perkins Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:59 pm

What trans are you running? If you have a 3 speed like a th 350 or 400 you don't want to go as low as a 411 or a 373 gear set for the street stick with the 342 like dynchel recomended. If you are running a later model overdrive trans a 373 would be good. I am running a 373 in my 76 with a th350 and a 454 and it is no fun on the highway.
Thanks Graham
Graham Perkins
Graham Perkins
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:02 pm

What is your MPH-RPM ratio Grahm? Is it a stock 454?
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 pm

my specs are a L65 350, TH350, 8.5" 10 bolt, 3.08 gears, factory limited slip diffferential

what would be my best for that

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:13 pm

One good way to go is using a 2004R. That OD trans with a 3.73 rear gear is the best of both worlds. Lots of folks in the El Camino group have went that way.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:15 pm

pila wrote:One good way to go is using a 2004R. That OD trans with a 3.73 rear gear is the best of both worlds. Lots of folks in the El Camino group have went that way.

eh not really looking for a new tranny right now, just bought a house, the wife would kill me for spending money on that. just adjusting gearing, i can convince her thats necessary.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:18 pm

The 3.73 would work fine, but of course gas mileage would drop some.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:26 pm

pila wrote:The 3.73 would work fine, but of course gas mileage would drop some.

Okay, now where would I lose steam though. Trying to get my 0-60 under 10 right now

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Are you sure the gears are your problem? You should not be running out of steam at 35 mph with 308 gears.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:32 pm

she only has 39k miles, i just notice a dramatic slowdown then. Im sure she needs a tune but everything is fine. Ive driven is all the way up, no slippage or anything up to 75. but it also has the original carb so that may be an issue too

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:34 pm

rebel101150 wrote:she only has 39k miles, i just notice a dramatic slowdown then. Im sure she needs a tune but everything is fine. Ive driven is all the way up, no slippage or anything up to 75. but it also has the original carb so that may be an issue too

on another note isnt the 0-60 qouted at 11 seconds or so for this car? seems about right

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Have you done a tune up since you had it? New plugs, wires, oil change, distributor parts? That and carb work might help out a lot.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Landonus wrote:Have you done a tune up since you had it? New plugs, wires, oil change, distributor parts? That and carb work might help out a lot.

a friend did, what kind of time should I be getting? maybe it wasnt done correctly. Had a friend do it, I work too much to handle small stuff usually.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 pm

I have 373 gears with a th350 trans. It's alot of fun around town, on the freeway I'm limited to about 65/70 mph. I bought my gears from the jegs catalog, summit racing is also a good place. As for factory times I have no idea. My car was modified when I got it and it was certainly no slouch. You might want to get your engine running properly first before selecting gears. Just my 2cents. Twisted Evil
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm no mechanic but any time I get a new car I always replace the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, thermostat, clean the carburetor and do an oil change. I find that it helps when troubleshooting to know what's new. As for your time I have no clue as I've never timed myself but surely one of the veterans here can answer that. As for your tune up, to not have been done correctly your friend would have to be mighty incompetent. Do you know what all he replaced? Do you know if it was like this before he worked on it?
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:52 pm

dynchel wrote:I have 373 gears with a th350 trans. It's alot of fun around town, on the freeway I'm limited to about 65/70 mph. I bought my gears from the jegs catalog, summit racing is also a good place. As for factory times I have no idea. My car was modified when I got it and it was certainly no slouch. You might want to get your engine running properly first before selecting gears. Just my 2cents. Twisted Evil

Ill definitely make sure its in line first, he tends to slouch himself but did it for free so i couldnt complain. i'll do it myself and then i'll figure out a gear. i'm thinking 373 but i don't want to be limited to 70...i kinda live on back roads and even my honda does 90 back here most of the time. cops basically don't exist, your worst worry is a deer. If a cop flips on his lights, well just keep going. they tend to back off. really country out here

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Landonus wrote:I'm no mechanic but any time I get a new car I always replace the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, thermostat, clean the carburetor and do an oil change. I find that it helps when troubleshooting to know what's new. As for your time I have no clue as I've never timed myself but surely one of the veterans here can answer that. As for your tune up, to not have been done correctly your friend would have to be mighty incompetent. Do you know what all he replaced? Do you know if it was like this before he worked on it?

He picked it up, I hardly drove it pre tune.it sat 25 years I didn't trust it, hell it still has the original balding tires. he said he did all of that and tuned the carb, but i'm doubtful. I'm still trying to figure out the best carb replacement for this one for performance.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 am

rebel101150 wrote:
dynchel wrote:I have 373 gears with a th350 trans. It's alot of fun around town, on the freeway I'm limited to about 65/70 mph. I bought my gears from the jegs catalog, summit racing is also a good place. As for factory times I have no idea. My car was modified when I got it and it was certainly no slouch. You might want to get your engine running properly first before selecting gears. Just my 2cents. Twisted Evil

Ill definitely make sure its in line first, he tends to slouch himself but did it for free so i couldnt complain. i'll do it myself and then i'll figure out a gear. i'm thinking 373 but i don't want to be limited to 70...i kinda live on back roads and even my honda does 90 back here most of the time. cops basically don't exist, your worst worry is a deer. If a cop flips on his lights, well just keep going. they tend to back off. really country out here

Careful attacking those corners, your G3 will weigh at least 1,500 lbs more than your Honda.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 am

Landonus wrote:
rebel101150 wrote:

Careful attacking those corners, your G3 will weigh at least 1,500 lbs more than your Honda.
'

good advice.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Perkins Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:25 am

Hi,
To answer landonus question, the 454 isn't anything crazy it has a cam ,headers, holley 750 double pumper, performer intake. The speedo doesn't work but keeping up with traffic on the hwy the tack is around 2800-2900 rpm. Oh by the way I need the cruise control box that sits on the lhs inner fender to get my speedo working if anyone has one for sale.

Thanks Graham
Graham Perkins
Graham Perkins
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next