G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

+21
Joe73
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
jerry46765
switchbiker
Wallyuph
JB2wheeler
pila
Limey SE
Oldschool454
LS_Quest
Tom77
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
chevellelaguna
Pontichev327
ant7377
lownslow75
LSANTI76
BK-75
Brainstain
25 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I had my 78 painted at MAACO about a dozen years ago and they used urthane metalic midnight blue. It cost around $450 during one of their many sales. It was OK for a daily driver, it had minor orange peel and dust. The only thing I really did not like was the metalic looked a little .... muted. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:43 am

I have see a couple of cars at the cruises that were painted at Maaco, but the owners did the prep and removal of all trim. After a little cut and buff, they were quite respectable. But like dynchel said, a chain will vary greatly from one location to another, there are some that just do a better job.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah.  I am thinking of taking it to the body shop down here at the college.  All I would have to pay for would be the paint and other materials needed.

I am going to try to do all of the body work myself.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Just got my To Do list ready for this year. If I can get all of this done I will be surprised, but hopefully I can at least get the things done that are just a few bucks or so.

Current Focus:
Brake lines 150.00
Front and Rear Seatbelts ?
700 R4 Transmission 500.00
Shorty headers - possible free set from my uncle Smile
Repair windshield leak 5.00
Install headliner and visors ?
Carpet and insulation ?
Scuff and black out trim that is not removable 5.00
Remove all other trim possible 10.00
Refurbish steering wheel 2.00
Install new steering gearbox ?
Balance d/shaft if same can be used on OD. 75.00
Rewire Stereo 0.00 Smile
Repair dash light dimmer assembly ?
Cut or replace front springs. 40.00
Build console 40.00
Correct my poor install of roof rail w/stripping 10.00
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 pm

What trim is not removable?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Around the windshield and rear glass. The rood rail and top of the door with the felts. I thin they have to be there, don't they?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 pm

That stuff all comes off. You need a release tool to remove the window trim. The chrome on the door is part of the felts. They are held in place with Phillips screws, the door panel will need to be off, and if I remember correctly the lower window stop will need to be removed (so the window will drop enough to get to the screws)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 pm

I know it all comes off, but around the front and rear glass doesn't it serve a purpose? Or is it just for looks? I would like to remove it all accept the bumpers, door handle and locks. I have never seen it without the trim so I am not sure what it looks like.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

I think its just for looks, and it dosen't look good without it. I know mine was off for two years while i was doing the body work.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 pm

By any chance do you have a pic of it?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm

dynchel wrote:I think its just for looks, and it dosen't look good without it.  I know mine was off for two years while i was doing the body work.

Yes it looks bad with out it. I have seen some guys paint them but I have also seen it peel from poor prep on paint
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:49 pm

I had planned to scuff it really well them prime and paint it just like the car in a gloss black.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Ok, so I changed the HD big block springs out for the HD small block springs Saturday. It is pretty much level now. Definitely does not look like a 2 inch drop on the front. I really wish I would have saved up and go the qa1 coil overs for the front. I will upload some pics from Saturday, hopefully tonight.

I found these at Summit.
Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 3 HAL-GD401-10550A_ml
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-ge401-10350c
$339.97 for the pair.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Stuff like that is nice, but can you really justify the expense? It all seems unnecessary unless you are planning to do some real autocrossing (or a wheels off show car)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Main reason I want it is so that I can get the exact stance I want. I am tired of switching springs and not get the stance I want. I bought the 2 inch drop spindle for the front. I was mistakenly given big block springs. I replaced those and it is still not 2 inches lower. It is about level now I think.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 pm

My experience is if you cut one coil it will drop appx one inch. Maybe cut a coil or coil & a half.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 pm

If I do that I think I will pay someone to do it. I am tired of taking them in and out... Too much other stuff to focus on. lol... life!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 pm

When I first built my car no one made dropped spindles for our cars so I bought new replacement Moog springs and cut 2 1/2 coils out of them. It's low.... So low in fact that you cannot slide a floor jack under the crossmember without  driving it up on blocks first. I can go over speed bumps slowly, diagonally, and still scrape the Hedders. You get it too low and it becomes a pain in the as$ sometimes.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Yeah. I just want the nose to be lower than the back. Then I am happy! I hope to get some pics on here by tomorrow, but if I don't I am sure I will have plenty from the show this weekend.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:When I first built my car no one made dropped spindles for our cars so I bought new replacement Moog springs and cut 2 1/2 coils out of them. It's low.... So low in fact that you cannot slide a floor jack under the crossmember without  driving it up on blocks first. I can go over speed bumps slowly, diagonally, and still scrape the Hedders. You get it too low and it becomes a pain in the as$ sometimes.
I would really like to drop the front of my '74 another inch, but the side pipes already bottom out on speed bumps, and it is hard (not impossible) to get a jack under the crosmember now.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 am

Does your sit pretty level?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 am

Its level, but I prefer a little rake....low in the rear, lower in the front.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am

Me too.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am

Ok so the local show is in 3 days. Gotta do a llittle prep work!

Clean inside and out.
Touch up all paint.
Push the rear bumper back in and tack weld it this time.
Repair windshield leak.
Install carpet.
Install tires if they can be found...
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Got very little finished on my project list in my last post. I did get it washed and polished it up on the inside a bit. I got the tires installed, but that was it. Not enough time in the day! Had a good time at the show though.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next