G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

+21
Joe73
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
jerry46765
switchbiker
Wallyuph
JB2wheeler
pila
Limey SE
Oldschool454
LS_Quest
Tom77
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
chevellelaguna
Pontichev327
ant7377
lownslow75
LSANTI76
BK-75
Brainstain
25 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:32 pm

"Had fun at the show" that's all that counts!! Gotta do a little at a time, when you have the time.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by driveit Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Very true!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Ok, so most of you know that my family recently took a vacation to Minnesota with the main objective of obtaining a new heart for the Chevelle. All I can say is this, she lives! We worked until about 10:30 last night getting everything hooked up. I was worried that something would go wrong, but nothing major has happened so far. (knock on wood)

We had a little trouble with the throttle sticking closed on it a few times. I have no idea what was causing it to do that, but it seems to be working now. It sounded awesome. I can't wait to drive it. My uncle is going to try rerouting the hot cable from the starter as it is hitting the header and we were afraid of a melt down there.

It seems to be putting out a lot of black smoke. I know that means that it is getting a little too much gas, or at least I think that is right. I don't know how to correct that. Any ideas?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Did you replace the gasket under the carb that we duct taped up.

Also we took the carb off and tipped it up to drain out fuel so float may have stuck. you may have to take the carb off and lift off the top to check and see if dirt or something got in the flat needle and seat. It come apart easy and not many parts to it. It did not smoke black ever for me.

I'm assuming you used the 750 edelbrock carb that came with it.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Yeah we did use the same carb and gasket. I was wondering about that. It ran great and had awesome response. Great sounding idle. It will be a head turner for sure. I am going to need a posi now. That way I can wear out both rear tires at the same time instead of just one.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Hey Wally how do you hook up the choke. Right now I have it propped open as I was not sure how to hook it up. I have one wire that comes out of the same set with the alternator. It looks like it might go there, but I have no idea.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:20 pm

You need to run a key supplied hot wire to the red wire when key is on. The black wire goes to ground. That is your problem you have a closed choke. It's saposed to snap shut tell electric heats up from key supplied hot will open it up as car warms up. That wire you need to provide
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm

So it needs a hot wire to a fuse and a ground. Thanks. We have the choke propped open right now.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:59 pm

You need a hot wire when the key is on the black to the ground.

Only has power when key is on when key is off no power to the choke black round thing on pass side of carb.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Here is a PDf of the manual for the carb.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/1000/1402.pdf
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Engine is ready. The starter wire has been moved so that the header is no longer an issue. Found out that I poked a whole through one of the spark plug wire boots and didn't even know it. I should have one somewhere that I could use for now. 8:30 will not come quick enough for me. I can't wait to hear it run again and drive it for the first time. Did I mention that I am excited about this?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Did you have you have a drive shaft?

did your uncle get the choke wired?
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:32 pm

No choke yet, but driveshaft yes. I kept my original and cut a spare when we put in the longer tranny. I just forgot that we kept it. I will try and wire up the choke tomorrow or Saturday.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:36 pm

It wont run right if you don't wire power to the choke or back it off. To back off (the snap shut butterfly) loosen the three torx screws on the black electric choke and turn it so the butterfly does not close. Just mark where it was so you know where to put it back to. Other wise it will just load up and flood out on you.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:42 pm

I have the butterfly propped open so that it does not close.  that is how I had my other edelbrock carb since I had it.  The choke was busted up on it so I just wired it open. Are we talking about the same thing. it is the butterfly in the front, correct?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Correct But you should use it it will run and start better
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:25 pm

I am going to, just gotta make time to do it. Right now all I can think about is hearing it run again and driving it for the first time.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Drove the car with the new engine and transmission for the first time last night and all I can say is wow. I pulled out and was gonna get on it a little and when I did it just roasted the tires. I looked in the rear view mirror and there was nothing but black marks and a cloud of smoke. I was like, woah... I expected some punch, but not that much. I love it. We took photos and video, but there is something wrong with my wifes phone. We even lost all of the pics and video from the second half of our trip. Anyway it sounds great and handles awesome. The vibrations are all gone since I got the other driveshaft in. I am not sure the speedo is correct now. If It is I am even more impressed, I was going 70 and had no idea. The only problem we are having now is the throttle is sticking closed when you left completely off the pedal. I feel like something is bent and is hanging it up when you let out. I am going to check it out a bit more today on my lunch.

There is a show here at work tomorrow. They are giving away awards and plaques. They are selling barbeque and so on to benefit Relay for Life. I am getting up early tomorrow to wash shine and polish everything on it. They are giving away window tinting as one of the prizes. I would like to tint my windows a bit especially in the front as I have no sun visors. Wish me luck, and if anyone has any ideas about that carb issue please share.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:36 pm

The choke is what hanging up on you its so simple to just run a power keyed wire to it and your done as its all connected and its trying to close the plates as the spring in side that black circle is strong. You NEED that choke hooked up so it wont stall when its cold at first start up and driving tell it warms up and THAT IS WHATS binding the throttle.

After you wire up the choke and if it still sticks then loosen the bolts to the base of the carb and try to open throttle with it a little loose if you see it pushing up then its hitting some thing. It worked really smooth for me. Maybe the glue from the tape on that gasket is doing some thing.

The speedo was 10-12 miles per hour fast for me. I left it that way as to not get a ticket but your gears are lower so use a GPS and see how far its off for you.

I told you it was a great set up. Get that choke wired up as no reason not to do it right. I know you are south of us MN guys but that choke will cause you issues if you don't back it off correctly. That was truly a turn key set up if you know what I mean. Just a little better than stock set up I would say.
Tire store is going to love you now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm

lol, I will check it out.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Ok, so update for you guys. Drove the Chevelle alot since the new engine install. Love it btw, but she is drinking way too heavily for me. I got up this morning and decided to try my old carb on it. Installed it and seems to be working great. The engine doesn't have as much noticeable lope to it, but still runs awesome. It doesn't seems to load up as much or flood as easily. I hope with the 600 I can squeeze a few more mpgs out of it. The other carb which came with the motor was a 750 which looks much nicer and is complete with electric choke. My 600 has an electric choke, but the housing is busted. I am gonna try this one out for a bit and see how she performs. I did notice that When cruising, that if I stomp on it and kick it down it chokes out a bit at first. need to do some adjusting on it to get rid of that, just not sure what do to for it yet.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Empty New pics!

Post by driveit Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:47 pm

So a friend from work took some pics at the show.  Here they are with the new engine and freshly painted engine bay.
Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Chevel10
Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Chevel11
Me and Jacob enjoying our day out.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Chevel13
Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Chevel14
Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 4 Chevel15
No one is allowed to make fun of my old ugly hoses.  They will be stainless braided hoses soon if nothing happens.

I hope to get a video as soon as Jess' phone starts working again.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:12 pm

That looks really great ! And it sounds like it has plenty of power too ! Very Happy 

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Dang that looks sweet in there.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next