G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS!

+24
Iggy
Hawk03
thatfnthing
76 Malibu
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
Zaptiah
fasrnur
TW Monte
Hs1973
ant7377
Damon23
Circuit Rider
77mali
99B4C
75Pontiac-Pride
77cruiser
Dinomyte
marks454ss
driveit
bitterfitter
pila
Joe73
dynchel
1973montec
28 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS!

Post by impalamonte Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:48 am

Thank you both for the compliments.
Coppermonte..at the time that I removed the body from the frame those pieces were in real good condition so i didnt replace. There is subject matter here on the forum in relation. As i recall,some guys are substituting the kit made for earlier A-bodies. But cant remember from what retailer.
I have been following your progress...I like everything you have done to update the car and look forward to more of your progress posts.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS!

Post by Dinomyte Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Just read this from start to finish. WOW! is all I can say. This is impressive. I really like the colour.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks Dinomyte.
Currently having my winshield Chrome refinished. Not much else to do over the winter exept order parts and " wait-it-out" for warmer weather!
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Empty Update 2015: 1973 Monte body of frame resto

Post by impalamonte Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Over the last few weeks I have added some updates with the coming of warmer weather...

Winshield moulding has been powder coated with clear after it was polished to a mirror finish.

Viking Double adjustable coil overs for the front along with a B-BODY 12" brake upgrade.
  For the rear , drum to disc conversion utilizing a 11"  kit from Right Stuff Detailing.

I haven't had the opportunity to "test" any of the new equipment as currently I am awaiting shortened SS hard lines
  for the rear to connect to the braided rear caliper lines. Then bleed the system.

I am not expecting overwhelming stopping power ! I am realistic...its still a heavy car guys. Easier , predictable
 driveability ( in braking )   was the goal.

Complete conversion was extremely simple both front and rear...just time involved. You get under there and start
  finding other stuff to freshen while there !!!!

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Scanne10
Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Scanne13
Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03310
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Beauty! Really nice! Cant wait to see it all complete.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Very cool almost there Buddy, Betcha getting itchy driving feet for this !!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Looking really NICE!

Are those new backing plates on the wheel hubs? Where'd you get those?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:34 pm

77 Mali

The backing plates are the originals. Cleaned up , sanded and painted.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks, they look pretty dang sweet. I will prob restore mine too but yours looked so nice in the photo's I was kinda hoping they were replacements and inexpensive. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Nice job on the Monte!!!
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 75Pontiac-Pride Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:26 pm

Wow, awesome work, really turned out NICE!

75Pontiac-Pride
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Able to get an early start this spring I updated my A/C to 134A . New condenser , Cycling POA , Trinary switch to control the elec. fans. All new hoses routed to be "mostly" hidden.
 Cleaned up some odds and ends in the engine bay.
  New wheels and tires.
  18 x 9.5 rims , 255/50 tires.
 May need to pull the front end down another 1".

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 20160612

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 20160613
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Very nice! The way cars should have been made then and now. Simple and clean. The "B" brake conversion, what years fit on the Monte's and Chevelle/Malibu's?
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:57 am

Mine are from a 94 Caprice.
Others my want to chime in on this...78 and up.
Be aware, late model Impala SS incorporated the
5/8" ball joint. Others , the 9/16".
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Very, very nice Monte, my inspiration for sure! 18x9.5 all around with four 255/50/18?

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:52 pm

I used Astro van lower arms and spindles with the 5/8" ball joint.

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:59 pm

Copper....yes , 18 x 9.5 on all 4 corners.
The rims have +1 mm offset.
Its close on the front lock-to-lock.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:46 am

That Lt-1 looks great in there BTW! I bet you miss that "little" fan shroud, huh?
Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks 77Mali. No kiddin!!
Without the fan shroud...maybe I can now consider a
Supercharger to fill the extra space.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:36 pm

I knew I had been wanting a supercharger but didn't know I would find one as a kit specifically for my LT1. I had been watching Ebay and seeing pieces and parts.... nothing complete...and everything well used. Then I am searching around on CL anything east of the Mississippi with "supercharger" as the search. Then low and behold I find one ! A guy had a 95 Camaro...bought a supercharger kit for his LT1...and sold the car. Now present day. He decides to sell the kit which includes the unit , all hardware , belts , hoses , fuel management unit , ignition system , pulleys, harmonic balancer , installation manuals , all for what I've been seeing the "supercharger only" units go for.  So , now , the kit is for a F-BODY car. I am having to create a bracket to attach the unit to the engine. With the F-BODY brackets the supercharger unit is low on engine and our car being an A-BODY would put that supercharger where our power steering box is located.

Here is my progress from cardboard to rigid fiberboard....now I have to order my aluminum. I have ten hours so far figuring out this piece of things....

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 20161010

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 20160910

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 20161011
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:07 am

That look sweet. I wish i had the money and knowledge to do the same.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:52 am

Nice work! I presume you've already figured out how to remount the PS pump -- looks like it might be a bit of trick to it...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Fortunately, that piece is on the passenger's side of the engine. But , I am having to move rigid fuel line that I had set up years ago. And , I have upset the geometry of the tensioner pulley system by placing the SC farther and higher from the crank pulley as originally designed in the kit for the F-body.

I guess I could of used a mount / tensioner system for a 1994-1996 Impala. But , that stuff is really hard to find too ! And , doesn't look as clean on the motor as what I am aiming for...
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:29 pm

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. It's always more work to break new ground, but it's worth it in the end!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi fellow G3ers...

So the warm weather ... in this part of the country.... over the course of the last week or so has inspired some work to take place.

Last month I was able to score an NOS rear package shelf for 50.00 over in Ohio.
What a buy!!

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03315

While installing the rear package tray I had to take apart a better part of one side of the rear interior. A couple of years ago I updated the seat belts to units from a 2000-2005 Monte Carlo. The early 3-point seat belt system is very cumbersome.
At the time I documented but did not post.
There is a square hole I utilized by opening it up a little more to insert the assembly. I tilted the unit slightly to aim it towards the connection point at the top of the B-pillar.

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03316

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03111

Now , onto an update of my supercharger install.

I hid my ignition box in the cowl on the driver's side just behind the pwr brake booster. I have a quarter inch of clearance at the front corner of the box as the wiper motor rod in the cowl rotates. I brought the wiring out through the firewall just to the right of the wiper motor on the firewall.

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03317

Transferred the fiberboard template from my previous post to now brushed aluminum to hang the supercharger...

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03318

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03319

Now have a couple of vacuum lines to run...one being to the blow off valve. And I have to install an intake tube for fresh air to the supercharger and discharge tube to the intake...

Update :1973 Monte Carlo Body off frame resto. Now with LS! - Page 2 Dsc03412
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next