G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumper Rub Stips

+11
Mcarlo77
dynchel
Limey SE
76 Malibu
thatfnthing
Roadcaptain S3
KC77Monte
pila
lars
ant7377
driveit
15 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bumper Rub Stips Empty Bumper Rub Stips

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:57 am

The front rub strip on my bumper was damaged a while ago. Is there anyone out there who makes a replacement? If not, is there any way to repair them? Mine is cracked right at the corner and it makes my other nice bumper look terrible.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Bumper Rub Stips Empty Re: Bumper Rub Stips

Post by thatfnthing Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:13 am

I have looked in the past for these, but never found anything even remotely close in 30 years.  You will likely have to win the NOS lottery, and they will probably cost a fortune.  If someone does start repopping them, though, post a link -- I'd love to get a set.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 am

Are they the same 73-77 for all g3's?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:29 am

Probably not -- look at the difference in our front bumpers in just our avatars. I know I was never able to locate any for the Monte. I just assumed it would be the same story for all G3's, since we have a hard enough time just finding stuff like sheet metal.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm glad I don't have them. drunken
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:33 pm

I would assume they aren't the same for all years. I would prefer bumpers without them, but it seems like just a waste to get rid of an original bumper with good chrome because of a rubber strip.

If anyone else has any sources or ideas on how to repair them, please chime in.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Maybe use some epoxy and then paint with a vynil dye?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Are you just trying to fill a crack? Or, are the edges either side of the crack lifting away from the bumper? If the latter is the case, I don't see any practical way to secure them down. I could keep an eye out for a good used one...but, I'm guessing it requires removal of the bumper to access most of the nuts behind it? Can be a lot of work if the nuts are rusty.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02 pm

The damage is right on the corner. Right now, it just has some black duct tape carefully applied to keep it together. It's not too noticeable unless you look closely.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:26 am

I think a bumper with holes for the rubber strip could be used OK if the holes had stainless bumper bolts put in them, or other round head bolts etc. Some place like McMaster-Carr would possibly have something in smaller size, to match the holes..
Not using a bumper that is in nice condition seems a shame. The cost of re-chrome is getting crazy these days...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 am

I'm probably in the worst scenario in this particular case.

The previous owner at some point the strips ripped at the corners and the just NAILED in back into the bumper. The nails were, of course, not stainless steal or anything so they rusted and broke, leaving the strip on one side flapping in the breeze, while the pure rust nail IN the bumper.

I'd love a repop if they'd make it.
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:39 pm

76 Malibu wrote:The damage is right on the corner.  Right now, it just has some black duct tape carefully applied to keep it together.  It's not too noticeable unless you look closely.  

How about a photo?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:44 pm

thatfnthing wrote:I have looked in the past for these, but never found anything even remotely close in 30 years.  You will likely have to win the NOS lottery, and they will probably cost a fortune.  If someone does start repopping them, though, post a link -- I'd love to get a set.

X2
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm

X3....the strips on my Elco aren't the best either. I added a couple more screws to hold one of them on. I counter-bored the rubber so the heads were recessed, and covered the holes flush, with 3M black weather strip cement.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:45 pm

in case any one is looking for one for a 76-77 monte, here's one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-77-MONTE-CARLO-FRONT-IMPACT-STRIP-NEW-GM-NOS-377065-/360974451335?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1977%7CMake%3AChevrolet&hash=item540bc10287&vxp=mtr
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:54 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
76 Malibu wrote:The damage is right on the corner.  Right now, it just has some black duct tape carefully applied to keep it together.  It's not too noticeable unless you look closely.  

How about a photo?

I checked my photos, I don't have one showing the damage clearly. The car is in storage now, so I can't get a new shot right now.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Does anyone know if I removed the rub strip if these bumpers for the rub strip and non-rubstrip cars are the same?  I saw some pics of cars without the rub strip and chrome bole heads and they look alright.  I am just not sure if the bumper has the "groove" or slot that the rub strip sits in. Where can I get chrome bumper bolts?

This car looks fine without the rub strip:

Bumper Rub Stips 194096_11366666_1976_Chevrolet_Malibu%2BClassic
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Bumper Rub Stips Empty Bumper Rub Stips

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 am

Bumpers will have the same shape with or without the rub strip.  However, you will have at least twice as many holes (my spare rear bumper rub strip has 13 mtg studs) in the bumper to accomodate the mtg studs for the rub strip.  They could be filled with bumper bolts that can easily be found online...but, it's going to look a little busy across the bumper.  Manual shows them to be 3/8"-16 x 1" lg. btw.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:22 am

You can buy bumper bolts aka carriage bolts ant any hardware store pretty cheap.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:45 am

Didn't Foose do something with an Elky bumper? I seem to remember them cutting down a back bumper and filling those holes in.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 am

Probably shaved the bolt heads.  Basically cut off the round head & weld the square part to the bumper.  It would then need rechromed or painted.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 am

I opted for the extra carriage bolts when I swapped to a new rear bumper, and I'm planning on doing the same for the front.  The holes are also elongated, so the bolt heads will need to be about 1/8" larger than normal to cover the gap.  I thought it came out all right -- what do you guys think?

Bumper Rub Stips Back3b10

Last edited by thatfnthing on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:28 am

I like the Carriage bolt lookalot better than the rub strip anyway, looks cleaner.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:08 am

The 8 bolts don't look unnatural on your '73. But, a '77 will have something like 13. As I said, it could start to look a little busy with the extra bolts. On the other hand, is it really that big of a deal, anyway? Pull the strip and put the bolts in and see what you think.

Speaking of bolts, are the hardware store variety of carriage bolts stainless or chromed? Seems I remember years ago, when I needed to remove the Monte's bumpers, the factory originals had a chrome cap over the head of the bolt.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:37 am

Typical hardware store carriage bolts will be galvanized or stainless, since their intended use is for building decks and other such outdoor structures with pressure treated wood that eats ordinary steel.  The galvanized ones are dull and the stainless ones are shinier and more expensive.

The ones designed for cars, though, have a chrome cap over ordinary steel.  I'm sure this was a way for the factory to save money over stainless, but chrome also holds up to the elements better than stainless.  Over time the stainless will look dingy, and, depending on grade, may actually develop surface rust.

However, if your car doesn't see harsh conditions, the stainless should work okay -- they're just not as reflective as chrome.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next