G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headers, Side-pipes

+6
chevellelaguna
Wallyuph
Tom77
Bruisr
Keith Seymore
1973montec
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Headers, Side-pipes  Empty Headers, Side-pipes

Post by Dinomyte Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 am

I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations for headers and side-pipes.

Got a small block Chevy in my '77 Malibu Classic, with automatic trans (th350), power steering non-tilt steering column, and at present working on the conversion from column to floor shifter (along with bench to bucket etc.) A single hump transmission cross member.

I was thinking mid length headers would give me the ground clearance, and also no need for a double hump transmission cross member, there would be a need for some custom exhaust work to connect headers to the pipes and I'd be good.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Headers, Side-pipes  Empty Re: Headers, Side-pipes

Post by dynchel Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:31 pm

I have hooker competition headers & dynomax sideliner side pipes. I was able to install it in my driveway, with no special tools. I have a double hump cross member, but it is not necessary as the pipes don't use the "humps".
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:41 am

I have Headman ceramic coated shorty headers and thrush sidepipes bought out of JCW.com not too bad to do. Wife and I did ourselfs in two days. Would suggest the locking header bolts. Since I put them in they stay tight. Started with normal ones and they kept backing out.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Just went to JCW site couldn't find any Thrush side pipes looks like they only have ones made by Patriot.
What length are you running?
Do they come with the chrome heat covering?
Do you still run a muffler?
I'd have to swap out my current hedders for shorter ones to make the bend towards the outer rocker. I have merge collectors on my current hedders, makes them extremely long.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Patriot are the ones I ordered when they came they had a Thrush stamp on the mufflers. Dont remember the length but I am almost sure it was the longest ones they offered. You can see from my picture they are perfect length for the car. Comes with everything you need except the connection from the pipe to the headers. Comes with the chrome 90 bend to put it under the car then all you need is a small piece of flex pipe (about 12") to connect. No muffler needed built into the sidepipe gives a nice low grumble. Also looks cool as heck on a cold morning. They would never hook up to regular headers the 90 turn would be north of the end of the header tube.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:59 pm

I really love the look of side pipes, my hedders length is a limiting factor plus I'd be going down in size from 3" to 2". Long way off but definitely something to consider
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the information guys.

The Patriot ones are what I was looking at. They seem to be popular. I've seen a kit for long tube headers where the exhaust actually makes a 180deg turn, then a 90 out to the side-pipe. Do the number of bends and the number of degrees they turn make a difference to exhaust like they do in heating duct work?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:59 pm

The straighter less turns in the system will definitely affect the flow. I'm afraid with a 180 degree bend and then a 90 I'd loose a lot of exhaust flow. On a stock application I don't think it's as critical. My motor is far from stock, could I afford to loose power with a twisty exhaust set up, probably.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:Patriot are the ones I ordered when they came they had a Thrush stamp on the mufflers. Dont remember the length but I am almost sure it was the longest ones they offered. You can see from my picture they are perfect length for the car. Comes with everything you need except the connection from the pipe to the headers. Comes with the chrome 90 bend to put it under the car then all you need is a small piece of flex pipe (about 12") to connect. No muffler needed built into the sidepipe gives a nice low grumble. Also looks cool as heck on a cold morning. They would never hook up to regular headers the 90 turn would be north of the end of the header tube.

For the record, I have full length hooker headers & side pipes.  The pipe does do a 180 and come forward, then 90° to the pipes.  The pipes are all mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch in three inch out.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Sounds like it could work then, it is a killer look for sure. I'd have to cut my collector extensions off, or get another set of regular hedders. I didn't know the side pipes exit at 3" that's cool too. Now I'm tempted to scrap my current exhaust for side pipes!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:30 pm

I pulled off a perfectly good flowmaster exhaust to "back date" the look of the car.  I think the patriots are only two inch in.  When I bought mine (about 2005) the two options (from summit racing) were dynomax & patriot. I bought the dynomax's because they were 2 1/2" in (the same as I already had)  I don't think the dynomax's are available any more so as far as I know the only option is patriot.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:44 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:Sounds like it could work then, it is a killer look for sure. I'd have to cut my collector extensions off, or get another set of regular hedders. I didn't know the side pipes exit at 3" that's cool too. Now I'm tempted to scrap my current exhaust for side pipes!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-1968-1982-SIDEMOUNT-HEADERS-SMALL-BLOCK-CERAMIC-COAT-NO-RESERVE-/141569418655?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f631e59f&vxp=mtr

Headers, Side-pipes  $_57
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 pm

There is NO way those will clear, need some serious mods to run those!
I would deginitely want at least 2-1/2 side pipes
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:03 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:There is NO way those will clear, need some serious mods to run those!

See this is where I DIS AGREE with you LOL I give you my shocks/ spring and raise your car up and you give me your shocks/ springs and it lowers Mine LMAO
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Here Ya go Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-82-C3-CORVETTE-STINGRAY-CHROME-SIDEPIPES-SIDE-PIPES-EXHAUST-BIG-BLOCK-SOUND-/171676147116?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f8b21dac&vxp=mtr

Headers, Side-pipes  17_12
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Limey SE wrote:
chevellelaguna wrote:There is NO way those will clear, need some serious mods to run those!

See this is where I DIS AGREE with you LOL  I give you my shocks/ spring and raise your car up and you give me your shocks/ springs and it lowers Mine LMAO

Did you also consider that the Vette has it's motor mounted further back than the Chevelle?  You're going to have those headers exiting through the front wheels Smile  Who do you trade wheels & tires with to fix that? Smile  

I wish they made something like those for the Chevelle.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:49 pm

Dino I was just messing with Tom for I like how his Guna sits LOL and yes I agree They wont fit but like I mentioned was just Razzin Tom LOL lol! Twisted Evil
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:28 pm

Limey SE wrote:Dino I was just messing with Tom for I like how his Guna sits LOL and yes I agree They wont fit but like I mentioned was just Razzin Tom LOL lol! Twisted Evil

I know, I just couldn't help myself. . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 am

Side Pipes 50"L Chrome-plated Dual
SKU #: JCW-213158 Mfr #: H1050
Product Fit: Universal
Outlet Size: 3 in.
Material: Steel
Warranty: 1-year Patriot limited warranty
$311.42
Per Assembly
Ships: 2-3 business days
10% Off on orders over $0!
Use promo code FEBRUSH15
Add to Cart

These come in three inch. Believe these are the ones on my car. Not sure of the length though. If you want can run out later and measure.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:54 am

From where?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:25 pm

You guys are killing me! LOL, I still have a ton of bodywork to do on the car, get the fuel system re routed, run all the wiring and now all this talk about side pipes!
Thanks Limey, I may have to raise it if I put pipes on it! It'd look badass with them
On the ground though!
Thanks ghost rider 3" would be awesome and 50" seems right. Man.... I might be getting a set of those!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Maybe we'll need to change the name of the board to side-pipes.com LOL. You know when something looks good it looks good, glad to see I'm not the only one thinking Mike and Ghostrider have the right idea. . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:22 pm

I love the sound of THAT! Hey someone has to keep the 70's vibe alive!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Headers, Side-pipes  IMG_20150125_224939_zpsfwvnb6pp
I have them....
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:30 pm

I know, and they look bitchin'! You guys are the inspiration for us all!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next