G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater Core

+7
pila
ant7377
74laguna
Mcarlo77
texan01
1973 454 MONTE
Limey SE
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Heater Core - Page 2 Empty Re: Heater Core

Post by pila Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:38 pm

The Tee I'm thinking of has a leg from the fire wall, one to the manifold , and the other to the vacuum ball reservoir. And the small hard plastic line from the ball reservoir goes in through the fire wall to the vac selector in the heat/AC control.

I just took a pic of the vac diagram for the A, F, and X series which are the came. I can email it to you if you send a PM with your address..
Don't know how to post it here.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Took a look at the '76 Laguna this morning. Here are a few pics showing some of what I'm about to describe:

First photo: Vacuum Tank/Ball. Larger vacuum hose and smaller hose that is black w/gray stripe. That smaller hose runs through your firewall.

Second photo: Shows the "tee" where the larger vacuum hose comes from the vacuum tank (on the left) and connects to another larger vacuum hose that goes to the rear of the intake manifold (your vacuum source). Smaller hose that comes out the right hand side of the "tee" is a black hose that will run through your firewall.

Third photo: Attempting to show the manifold vacuum tee on the intake (in front and to the right of the distributor).

The third hose (black w/orange stripe) comes from the firewall and to the water valve. Inside the cabin, this hose also feeds your passenger side air damper door beneath the glove box. Hose on this Laguna had been cut, so couldn't get a pic.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any hoses or connections.

Heater Core - Page 2 Chevel10

Heater Core - Page 2 Chevel11

Heater Core - Page 2 Chevel12

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:13 pm

YEP...a picture is worth 1,000 words.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by jrb75 Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Awesome guys!!!...I'll check it out when I get home. Both out of the tank go to the firewall and the 3rd in the 2nd pic was broken and tucked up with the wiper fluid line. the intake post I routed to itself and I have the one from the water valve in the front of the intake running into the carb.
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Hope you can use the diagrams I sent. Between the pics here and the diagrams, you should be able to get it hooked up.
Good luck ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:02 pm

I would suggest go over too Sears or harbor frieght and get your self a vacuum pump about 20-30 bucks, that way you can test all that stuff and see what works /dosent work and how it works.Those pics are golden for you though .
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jrb75 Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:19 pm

IT WORKS!!!...picked up a univeral tee kit and some hose and the doors move with the controls as they should. I still have some tweeking to and the defrost isn't very strong but,it works...ant, I may get a pump and check some.

I couldn't have done it without you guys...Thanks again. Of course, now I gotta put it all back together....DOHHHH
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Nice work, Jason! Bet you learned a few things about your Heating/A-C system, huh?!!

Visited my own Project Laguna last night and remembered that the heater hoses were both cut. Judging from the loopty loop shown in the photo, I'm guessing my heater core is shot, too. Only time I drove this car was when I picked it up on a hot August day. Only thing I tried then was the A/C. Probably would have replaced it anyway when the time came to tear things down.

Heater Core - Page 2 Projec10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:13 am

Good for you!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:14 am

Hey great news ,happy new year !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Nice work, Jason! Bet you learned a few things about your Heating/A-C system, huh?!!

Visited my own Project Laguna last night and remembered that the heater hoses were both cut. Judging from the loopty loop shown in the photo, I'm guessing my heater core is shot, too. Only time I drove this car was when I picked it up on a hot August day. Only thing I tried then was the A/C. Probably would have replaced it anyway when the time came to tear things down.

Heater Core - Page 2 Projec10

Looks like mine when I got it. Previous owner even had the new core laying in trunk. Took me about 4 hours worth of work and some reading of the service manual to find the last couple bolts inside the A/C evaporator case.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:58 pm

So, can this be done from inside the car? Or, does the blower housing case need to be removed from the engine side, too?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jrb75 Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 am

YES...Most everything that got advised to me was spot on. I may have done more than I needed, still don't know.

Removed right tire and inner fender to get to all the bolts on the housing
Removed all the heat-a/c ducting underneath the dash
Removed the glovebox, ashtray and center vent assembly
Dropped the steering column, removed defrost venting...AWESOME!!!
Remove the dash cover, speedometer, idiot gauges thinking you get access to stuff better...AWESOME TOO!!!
THEN, you get to pull the box the core is in and replace it - 15min job.
I know, I left out alot of little stuff but, it's little stuff.

Ohh yeah, replace all the old brittle stuff you broke while removing it all. Thankfully, I didn't have to rely on the car as a DD so, I took my time. For me, it was that or roll it out into the driveway, light it on fire and chant hatefull things at it as it burned...But don't worry, I'm better now. Dr said so.
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Ha...with all that plastic in and around the dash, you know something is going to break! Love getting at and straightening those four little metal tabs that hold the defroster vent in place without cracking the vent housing. Was secretly hoping the inner fender didn't need to be removed...even though I know that is about the only way to reach that lower blower motor casing nut. It will all have to come off anyway when I replace the rusty fenders. Just love working off rusted bolts/fasteners.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:24 pm

What a pain in the A$$ job that is. All that work for a damn heater core.

Steve...if you have 5' long arms, the inner fender may not have to come off. LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I didnt take off the inner fender when i did mine on my 77.Just 2 or 3 nuts around the blower case under the hood and the rest was all inside.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 pm

So...that nut at the 6 o'clock position on the engine side didn't need to come off?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Ant, does your car have a/c?
Removing the fender made my life a lot easier to get at them all (think there are 5 or 6 on my car & not all the same nut size. The a/c box with the blower motor mounted on it is heavy too. I didn't want the thing to crack (or in my case become worse) when I removed it. With the fender & tire off, I was able to "get up in the car". I hate to lean over the hood & such or work on my back underneath. Bad back & I'm only 5'9. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

It had AC origianlly but not any more but the stuff (recver drier) is still there but no I dont remember any nut at 6 oclock just 3 oclock 1 oclock.maybe somemore.I think no that im writing it that it was replaced before. It was a number of years ago I did it -I was thinner too that helps!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:45 pm

There's usually one hex headed screw on the inside, near the bottom. I've never removed the fender well to get at the nuts etc, but if it works, do it !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah there was one inside I remember that.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Ok now its my turn. On my 73 Monte its never been messed with before (heater core) how do I get that bolt that comes in from the engine side out ? I took out the blower motor and nothing there it seems to be behind the AC evaporator. I think its different than the 77 or the 77 didnt have all the bolts back in it from the previous install. Its about 3 oclock on the inside .
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:38 pm

This one? On the engine side? This unit is back in the car but the a/c housing is still out on mine I can take a pic tomorrow PM maybe if you need one, let me know.

Heater Core - Page 2 Dsc01523
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 pm

It seems to be in between the blower motor and the evaporator when looking at it on the inside.Its on the right side of the case. I dont think your whole picture is showing up on my computer
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 74laguna Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:36 am

remove the blower resistor the nut is in the hole
74laguna
74laguna
G3GM Member