G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater Core

+7
pila
ant7377
74laguna
Mcarlo77
texan01
1973 454 MONTE
Limey SE
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 Empty Re: Heater Core

Post by ant7377 Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Right,what about the one that goes in from the engine side at about the 3 oclock position. Thats the one im getting grief from.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I sent these to Ant & am posting here too as this job is a ROYAL PITA. (It's amost as bad posting about it!) Hope it at least makes sense & helps others too. There may be a slight difference in the 73 versus other years. (Ant can expand on that when he's done w/ the install). Mine is a 77 BU. Also- when removing the Evap housing, KEEP IN MIND ALL THE WEIGHT WILL EVENTUALLY BE ON THE BLOWER MOTOR. You may want to remove that before doing anything else to avoid breaking the 35 year old POS if clearance and or a good footing is an issue. See pics below.

#'s 1, 2 & 3- (Bolt Screws) Access from the engine side & hold Evap housing to firewall near Blower Motor.

#4 (Stud) Hard to see from the inside but see 2nd pic below. It's numbered & above the # 7 Bolt Screw.

#5 & 6 are heater box studs accessible on engine side (hard to get at). Housing also is held here along w/ 1,2 & 3 for support & to tighten the housing to firewall.

#7- Bolt Screw, (as thick as #1,2 & 3) Attaches from engine side through heater box at the bottom by the floor pans. See 3rd Pic interior view.

heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 P1020815

heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 P1020816

heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 P1020817

Heater Core & Heater Core Housing Engine Side
heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 Dsc01527

Heater Core & Housing back side to "Heater Box"
heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 Dsc01528

Heater Box
heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 Dsc01529

heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 Dsc01415

Note- This is a guide (this is only a guide). I am not responsible for the above content and neither is this website or anyone associated herein or herewith.
Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 am

My '75 & '77 Elco heater/AC box is different than that, for some reason. Still have a few parts around for those. Mine fastens to the fire wall a bit different....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:19 am

pila wrote:My '75 & '77 Elco heater/AC box is different than that, for some reason. Still have a few parts around for those. Mine fastens to the fire wall a bit different....

I wonder if it's because the passenger compartment is for 2? Mine has the "Four Seasons" A/C, which the only difference I can see is that the control panel has a "Bi-Level" (dash vents & floor vent operate together).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jrb75 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 am

Ya know, I'm almost glad I had this problem in the first place. This is turning into a decent resource of info. At least 77mali has pictures, I still think back to when I was doing mine and only rehash feelings of rolling it into the driveway and lighting it on fire or covering it up and never looking at it again...rofl... Head Bang
jrb75
jrb75
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:44 am

77Mali, thanks for pictures and info. My brother is going to try and replace mine over the holiday. Just a clarification, once bolts/nuts from #s 4,5,6 & 7 are out, the heater core & housing can be removed? Or does the whole heater box have to come out to remove the heater core housing?
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:35 pm

The entire housing needs to come out for the core replacement.  Make sure you mark the vacuum lines to put them back in the right spot unless you're can somehow leave it in the car.  I had both my dash & bench seat out of the car when I did this so you may encounter some issues with maneuverability, easily removing parts, etc...just don't rush the job an you s/b ok.  I would say that you'll probably have to remove the plastic heater stuff at the bottom of the dash too (but maybe not) I think it will depend on what type of system you have.  

There is another piece that is attached to the frame at the cowl under dash near the pass side pillar that you may also have to remove to get the heater box out....be careful of your heater duct to the "double vent" section to the dash- those are kind of tricky & easily broken.   If you run into any prob's post up & post some pics to compare the units if you can, there's very little info anywhere about this stuff.  

Good luck!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 pm

My non a/c car was a piece of cake.  I had it out in about 15 minutes.  jocolor
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:04 pm

77mali wrote:
heater core - Heater Core - Page 3 Dsc01415

Is there a way to connect the vacuum hoses to the two baffles on the heater box without taking out the dash or box? I'm hoping there is a easy or quick way without having to deconstruct the dash.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:31 am

It was easy with the dash out obviously. IIRC, you should have enough room to reattach just the lines to the baffles, you may have to move carpet our of the way. See if you can comfortably get you hand up in there...I believe that I disconnected the lines from the heat/AC controls after the dash was loose.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks, I found a temp solution, somewhat lol. I might try it again but for now I connected the old vacuum line from the baffle to the new vacuum harness. The air switches to vent went I turn A/C on Max and will stay going through vent when I switch to normal, by-level and vent. But if I go from heat to vent mode, the air stays moving through the floor. I can't get any air to move through the defrost as well. I am going to look at how my vacuum is hooked up in the engine bay see if those are connected incorrectly.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3