G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 75 Monte Project

+12
1973 454 MONTE
maliburacinfreak
Biomedtech
74MonteCarlo
orange Juiced
77ElClassic
DiscoMalibu
1973montec
pila
dragons_lair59
texan01
BlackChevelleSS
16 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New 75 Monte Project Empty New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 am

Hey guys, I havent been around here in a while, thought I'd make a return. I found a 75 Monte Carlo on Craigslist recently for $800, and I thought it could make a great parts car. I went to check it out, and I came to find that the car seemed to be about 90% all there, trim in great shape, zero rust, and had good history. Long story short, the guy I purchased it from got the car from his friend who moved away after college and left the car. The car belonged to his father, and his grandfather before, who purchased it new. I got the car for $600 plus the $50 to tow it. I think I've decided to start a new project, and get it running and bring it back to life! from the stack of receipts the car seemed to be well maintained and there was good effort to take care of it. I was told the car drove and ran well before it was parked 5 years ago. They put fuel stabilizer in the tank, but after 5 years I doubt the fuel is any good. I need some advice on removing the tank, while the car is on the ground, and any other things I need to do to prevent pumping old gas through the lines and into the motor. I know there are two lines, four bolts, and the wire that goes up to the trunk and a ground. I would also like to replace the sending unit while I'm at it. (and hopefully find a build sheet under there!)

In the meantime, I'm going to change the oil/filter, get a new battery, and a little gas in the carb and see if she will fire!

Another odd thing, I found a piece of the window sticker, and the car is suppose to be Silver with Dark Blue Cloth interior. (the car has obviously been repainted once, a light blue). I've seen a LOT of 73-77 A-Body cars the last ten years, and I'm having trouble picturing a silver car with dark blue interior. It seems like an unusual color combo. Has anyone seen one? Or have some pictures? This car is very basic as far as options go.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures. Its VERY dirty, and I'm so anxious to start cleaning it up and work my magic... I know I can make it look very presentable.

New 75 Monte Project 575863_4398088156232_190501041_n

New 75 Monte Project 306757_4398087916226_2130699934_n

Last edited by JiMi_DRiX on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

New 75 Monte Project Empty Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by DiscoMalibu Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 am

Nice find and it looks to be in pretty good shape. You stole it! I wish I could find something that clean for that price here in the northeast.

I dropped my tank last week. Support the tank with a jack and pop out the rear two bolts for the straps. Lower the jack while steadying the tank. Watch the filler neck on the way out. I had my car on jackstands so I could simply swing the straps down and out of the way and slide the tank out. I'm not sure if your tank has a lot of fuel in it or not. If it does try siphoning the worst of it out or get someone to lend a hand. It's awkward and heavy when full.

I'd definately recommend replacing the sending unit while it's out, you don't want to do it all over again down the road when the fuel gauge decides to quit!

I can't imagine theres much in the way of fuel left in the line to the pump. The other smaller line is simply a vapor return line from the charcoal canister. You may want to consider cleaning and rebuilding the carb first. If it sat that long that fuel may have turned into a gooey varnish in the bowl. That's no good and adding fresh fuel may lift that varnish out and clog the venturis in the jets. So at that point you'll end up rebuilding the carb anyways.

Hope this helps, get her back on the road! Smile
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 am

I got a new battery today, But I haven't gotten time to check the fuel gauge yet. I hope it's fairly empty! did you only remove the rear most strap bolts? And did you use a flat piece of wood on the jack to support the tank without damaging it?
You make a good point about the carb, I hadn't thought about that. Ill be replacing the fuel pump anyway. Where did you get your sending unit? I replaced that on my 73 but I don't remember where I got it. The job was a lot easier then too because I was able to get it on a lift!

Thanks for the quick response! I'll have lots of pictures soon.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:47 am

How much gas is in the tank? If it was me, Id get as much premium gas in that tank as possible with the old gas and run it. Ive ran gas much older than 5 years and it did just fine with some fresh mixed in, although it has a funny smell, its not hurting anything.

New 75 Monte Project SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 am

In addition to the fresh gas, drop a can of Seafoam in there. It may help to clean the carb if it's not too gummed- up. A rebuild is a good idea if it needs it. I'm glad this "parts car" is going to be resurrected. I hate seeing good cars get cut up and this one looks very nice. Great find!

I like to use my motorcycle jack stand when working on the gas tank, if you have one they make the job easy. Especially if the tank is full.
New 75 Monte Project Image_10
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks guys. I put the battery in this morning, turned the key on, and this is what happened... the needled started moving (the blower motor made a god awful noise, lol) and the needle kept going, to 3'o clock on the gauge! Well, I know thats not good. Anyone know why it would go that far? I checked the plug coming off the tank behind the license plate, disconnected and reconnected it. Is there a ground somewhere?

New 75 Monte Project 483348_4400664780646_870739467_n
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

I had to order mine from autozone, took a couple of days. Also my lines were cracked and falling apart, that would make my needle jump around and pass the F or E.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 pm

My gas gauge started doing that on my 50K mile Monte last summer...but, not quite that far right. I cleaned the ground wire (yes, there is one) and the pigtail connection and nothing changed. It eventually starts to move to the left as I burn a 1/4-1/2 tank of gas, so figured someday I'd drop the tank and install a new sending unit. For now, no more miles than I put on it, I just watch the odometer and keep it topped off.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I hoping there is a way to determine whether its the gauge or the sending unit. I suppose its a sign that I should drop the tank..
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:My gas gauge started doing that on my 50K mile Monte last summer...but, not quite that far right. I cleaned the ground wire (yes, there is one) and the pigtail connection and nothing changed. It eventually starts to move to the left as I burn a 1/4-1/2 tank of gas, so figured someday I'd drop the tank and install a new sending unit. For now, no more miles than I put on it, I just watch the odometer and keep it topped off.

Yeah maybe its gunked up or something. My old 73 just quit working all together and we replaced it. This is a bummer because its keeping me that much further from firing it up!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:49 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:I hoping there is a way to determine whether its the gauge or the sending unit. I suppose its a sign that I should drop the tank..

nice find.

the gauge might read that way because of a bad ground.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 pm

What I'm going to do is find a fuel sending unit and hook it up off the tank and have someone (a.k.a. the wifey) watch the gauge while I move the float arm up and down before I go to the trouble of dropping the tank.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77ElClassic Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I know on my Elco, there's a ground wire that comes from the harness near the rear license plate that runs over and plugs into a connector on the left-side rear side-marker. It's the ground for the sending unit. If I unplug it, my needle goes full to the right like that. Maybe there's a little corrision on yours or a bad ground on your marker light itself.
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 pm

After I get the car into the back yard I'll have to get under it and find that ground wire!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Did a couple things this weekend... cleaned up some of the parts. Heres a couple of the door panel before and after. Now I think I can do the same for the rest of the entire car Smile

New 75 Monte Project 487721_4411881701062_1754787724_n

New 75 Monte Project 313940_4411882301077_1660204695_n

And after we pulled the car into the alley with the truck, we had a little problem getting it into the yard. The gate is on the opposite end, and there is a shed in the way. So we had to do it like this... haha

Gave her a little push! These cars are built like tanks. Its not the first time I had to do something like this.

New 75 Monte Project 396039_4411879060996_491745079_n
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Those lower door panels look good, keep up the good work. Man for the money that Freakin' Monte is awesome- you totally stole that!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 pm

77mali wrote:Those lower door panels look good, keep up the good work. Man for the money that Freakin' Monte is awesome- you totally stole that!

Thanks! I detail for a living, and I've cleaned up a ton of old parts over the years. I think I can make it look pretty good... after its running!

I was going through the box of paperwork more thoroughly today, and I found a few good ones. Other than the pages and pages of maintenance and repairs through the years, I found one from when the car was repainted, blue body side moldings were added. I'm not sure if these are factory replacements or not. Ill get some close ups later. And in 1992 the front seat was reupholstered, and it looks like it was at the same shop I had the seats in my 76 done a couple years ago.

Hopefully the rain will let off this week and I can see if the fuel gauge is fixable and possible get the tank dropped. Also an oil change, disconnect the fuel line, and a little gas in the carb to see if it will fire!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Holy crap, awesome work man.

Now ya just need a 74 and a 77!

And no...you can't have my 74! Haha.

Back of the 75 is jacked up pretty high!

Last edited by 74MonteCarlo on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm

There was a ground wire on mine that ran from the sending unit to the crossmember for the shocks. Its just a small, sheetmetal screw with a toothed lock washer. Mine was pretty crusty, but always read fine. Definately check your wiring first!

I'm getting mine sender from Advanced, i'm also getting my fuel tank through Advanced, it's like $175 which is cheaper than what I found online.

Keep on working on it, it'll be down the road in no time!
GoFast
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:59 pm

That looks like a nice solid car. There is a ground back there I think on the drivers side for the sending unit. I started a t-bird that had not run for 20 years .About 6 or 7 gallons of fresh gas and I blew out the line also put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders with a squirt can and it started right up.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:13 am

74MonteCarlo wrote:Holy crap, awesome work man.

Now ya just need a 74 and a 77!

And no...you can't have my 74! Haha.

Back of the 75 is jacked up pretty high!

I use to have a 74, but it was a parts car only! and we almost got a 77 before the black 73 came along! Who knows, maybe some day, one of every year.. lol.

Yeah its high because the rear has spacers on the coil springs because the previous owner use to pull a small trailer sometimes. I cant wait to get those damn things out of there!

DiscoMalibu wrote:There was a ground wire on mine that ran from the sending unit to the crossmember for the shocks. Its just a small, sheetmetal screw with a toothed lock washer. Mine was pretty crusty, but always read fine. Definately check your wiring first!

I'm getting mine sender from Advanced, i'm also getting my fuel tank through Advanced, it's like $175 which is cheaper than what I found online.

Keep on working on it, it'll be down the road in no time!
GoFast

Wait, you got a whole new tank for $175? Seriously? Hell, I might just do that instead. Do you have any online links to it?

ant7377 wrote:That looks like a nice solid car. There is a ground back there I think on the drivers side for the sending unit. I started a t-bird that had not run for 20 years .About 6 or 7 gallons of fresh gas and I blew out the line also put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders with a squirt can and it started right up.

Its definitely solid. Even in its condition, I wish it hadnt been repainted once before though. Oh well, I can live with that! Other than the fuel tank issue, I need to get a driver side window regulator, and the hinges replaced. The passenger side works great though!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:39 am

I'm getting the new tank from Advanced Auto Parts, mine was rotten on both sides. It does not come with a new sending unit, it's just the tank with the filler neck. You're lucky being in the southwest, everything here in the northeast turns to dust! Mad
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:06 pm

What do you think of the $150 one and the $400 one?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:10 pm

I got mine here

http://www.gastanks.com/
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Well today I changed the oil/filter, and removed the fuel line from the pump and ran it into a fresh can of 91 octane. After a few cranks, she started! Ran a little rough but quickly smoothed out. I put it in gear to back it up and park it in straight.

Yes, I know, its FILTHY. I cant wait to get the hot water pressure washer and degreaser after it.

But... I hear a little noise that I dont like. You can hear it in this second video. I'm hoping its not what I think it is... anyone want to chime in on the noise?

JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next