G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 75 Monte Project

+12
1973 454 MONTE
maliburacinfreak
Biomedtech
74MonteCarlo
orange Juiced
77ElClassic
DiscoMalibu
1973montec
pila
dragons_lair59
texan01
BlackChevelleSS
16 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

New 75 Monte Project - Page 6 Empty Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm

It took me all day to find the push rod for my fuel pump. So I installed the base with gasket...painted the manifold and prepped & primed my formerly filthy fuel pump. As I was monkeying around today I decided to test fit those bolts to the hole we're all discussing.

My engine builder was adamant in mentioning this but maybe he was confused with the block he ended up giving me after my build fiasco? On my block which is younger ('88) & not original to the car- there are bolt holes in the front @ the bottom of the block BUT none of them thread through into the chamber that the push-rod sits/travels in. What am I missing here & which hole location exactly should it be? I'm scratching here... scratch

monkey monkey monkey
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 pm

I know what hole it is , i have no small block to take a pic. But it does work good.

If i remember, its where the a.i.r. Pump bolts to under the alt next to timing cover.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Mine must be different then...best pic I have of the alt & fuel the pump still on.

New 75 Monte Project - Page 6 P1010010
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm

should be the hole i circled in red here....

New 75 Monte Project - Page 6 27373482-980-Chevy-350-CID-Universal-Crate-Engine_zpse3f8ec9f

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 pm

That's what I checked, even stuck my finger in the push rod slot & felt for an opening....nothing, the bolt just stops dead just like on the front of the cylinder heads. Oh well, there's always the grease method...should be done anyway with a new cam. Just my luck though...

PS-Sorry to take up so much w/ this here Jimi.

Edit: I guess that leak I mentioned earlier must have been somewhere else under there...LOL!

Last edited by 77mali on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am

i did it waaaay back in the day with no grease and no bolt. it can be done in the car.

1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:24 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:i did it waaaay back in the day with no grease and no bolt. it can be done in the car.

Sometimes there's enough sludge or buildup to hold that rod up on it's own, but that's not a good sign, either. Otherwise, it can be an exercise in futility trying to hold it up while getting that pump shaft situated in there. On the other hand, it's a 10 min. job when inserting the bolt.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Its cool! I dont mind. I've done a few pumps years ago, and never with the bolt trick, or grease. I just spent some time and got lucky I guess! I'll check it out after the weather warms up and I have a few more parts and things to work on. Right now its too cold to do anything outside, especially after I work all day outside already, lol
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 am

Fuel pump is done. The bolt trick worked great. I'm going to replace the rest of the vac lines, then probably have the carb rebuilt. I believe the car sitting for 5 years is my backfire problem. Or at least I hope that's all it is!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 am

Good idea rebuilding the carb.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm

77mali wrote:Good idea rebuilding the carb.

I THINK the accelerator pump is working fine, but who know what else could be wrong in there. I checked the timing, (after bumping the engine over and over to clean the balancer off so I could even see the marks) the timing is set fine. Plugs/wires are all good. Cap and rotor are fairly new. So i'm really just hoping at this point that its the carb. 5 years of sitting has got to mess something up in there.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Messes up gaskets & gunks everything up with varnish if gas was left in it. Varshish build up is a PITA to deal with in all the nooks & crannies. I had my carb done @ a local guy in NH who does stuff from all over the place. Google Hobbs Carb in Pelham NH- he does nice work- won't be "show quality" but for $110.00 I can't complain. Carb was "pre-set" to factory specs also just bolted it on.

When my car is done (Lord willing) I think part of it's winter sabbatical will be removal & cleaning out the carb. Going to fab a cover for the air intake & just reinstall it nice & clean every spring.

(I don't wanna scare 2fat2fly with my "before pics" anymore -LOL....but this is what it looked like before & after the rebuild.New 75 Monte Project - Page 6 P1010011

New 75 Monte Project - Page 6 P1010611
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:20 pm

That looks really nice! My hot rod buddy from work said he would do the carb for me. He is who I did the motor/trans with in his garage, and countless other things. He's a great guy, I'm lucky to have him as a friend and thats always willing to help me out. I'd like to change the intake/carb to a 4bbl, but for now, I think it'll stay original with the 2bbl until I get the car further along.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Good to have a friend like that! Payment in the form of Beer is better than dollars.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 pm

I owe him for life as this point, lol. We did the engine and transmission in his garage, in a day and a half!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey everyone, so a quick catch up. I have the intake off the car, and have been cleaning up those associated parts to reassembly. After the intake, dist, carb, and all that goes back on, I will fire it up and see how she is running. If all seems well, I'll probably go ahead with a new timing gear/chain to solve the last of the running issues. Today I also got the door back on, it closes nicely, just needs some new rubber to seal it up.

I think right now, I've decided that if someone here in Southern AZ would like a good project car, I'll consider any offers (cash or new/nos parts). While I am still going to continue working on this car, I realize how much time I have in it that I could have put into one of the other cars (like the 73 that still needs pre-paint work, and the 76 that needs the next set of plans started)
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Mike ,you did a really great thing basically saving and resurrecting that car into something nice. Who knows what would have happened to it. Id put it on Ebay,you would probably get someone from salt/crap area of the country (here) to buy it I bet you would make a few bucks on it too. Could help finance the other two.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:52 pm

ant7377 wrote:Mike ,you did a really great thing basically saving and resurrecting that car into something nice. Who knows what would have happened to it. Id put it on Ebay,you would probably get someone from salt/crap area of the country (here) to buy it I bet you would make a few bucks on it too. Could help finance the other two.

X2

Post some goodby pics will ya?

I really like that Monte. Maybe Chris in OH will buy it....the other Chris. LOL

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks guys, I originally bought it while looking for a parts car, but after I found out it was owned in the same family since new, and it was a complete car, I couldnt tear it apart. I'll get it back running again, and see what happens. I'd like to keep it, but like I said, I have two other Montes that I would like to work on more. My space is also limited, as well as my time and money to put into it. Its a great car for someone that wants a fun project. I dont plan on selling it for sure, but I'll put it out there on this forum, as well as a couple facebook groups, and maybe catch someones interest.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6