G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

75 el camino project.

+24
Iggy
impalamonte
73ss
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
tgaetto
fasrnur
bigredlaguna
Hawk03
Hs1973
Limey SE
thatfnthing
DaveFury
Joe73
chevellelaguna
Mcarlo77
knightfan26917
77mali
tropdeprojet
dynchel
pila
wunderlich_33
driveit
Dinomyte
JB2wheeler
28 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Empty Re: 75 el camino project.

Post by riddick75 Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:49 am

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5412

front face and bumper fillers on

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5413
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:04 am

Looking good!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:32 pm

You are getting close! Looks awesome! So how did your dash turn out?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Nice project!

Love the dash process.

tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 pm

g3chevy wrote:You are getting close! Looks awesome! So how did your dash turn out?

TIMES 2 Look's great and these warm Temps sure is Helping progress I would say Brother 50's till weekend WHAAAAAAAA

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:15 pm

its coming along, the dash isn't bad, Im waiting on getting the windshield to put the dash in and finish it up, I have to use the parts to help hold the vinyl in place because I can't find a glue strong enough to hold it in place, so once I get it installed I'll put in the guages to finish off the last part of the dash.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:20 pm

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5510

front bumper installed

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5511

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5513

side mirrors installed

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5512

rear marker lights installed completing the whole back end, also have the gas tank and the air shocks installed

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5514

back wall with jacks and stuff installed

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5515

rear window back in

riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:41 pm

ok got a question. for the side drip rails/window gasket track, circled in yellow
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 El_cam10
is there a seal between the chrome trim to body? I know there is one between the window gasket track and chrome but I cleaned the chrome too good I can't tell if there was anything. and also does anyone know if there is any kind of sealant on the A-pillar pinch weld cover.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:07 pm

and also if anyone knows what or where to get the plastic that protects the glass from the touching edge of the trim around the front and rear window like an anti squeak or scratch guard
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Here is the stuff you need under your drip rails. Its not like what the factory used but it will work. Not sure what you mean "plastic that protects the glass from the touching edge of the trim around the front and rear window". Do you have a pic?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-GM-Roof-Rail-Side-Window-Channel-to-Body-Weatherstrip-Seal-14-Hardtop/201033833139?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Drip_r10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:43 am

riddick75 wrote:and also if anyone knows what or where to get the plastic that protects the glass from the touching edge of the trim around the front and rear window like an anti squeak or scratch guard

That plastic you mention is part of the window trim itself. Its not really needed but it did come from the factory. I dont think it was an anti-squeak but more of not allowing dirt to get under the trim that easily. Very thin, black plastic thats on the bottom side of factory trim.

All my original trim has it. I'd grab a pic but my trim is currently all tucked away. I wouldnt be concerned using the trim without it especially if the car is garage kept. Most cars I see dont have it or its broken off.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Joe73 wrote:
That plastic you mention is part of the window trim itself.  Its not really needed but it did come from the factory.  I dont think it was an anti-squeak but more of not allowing dirt to get under the trim that easily.  Very thin, black plastic thats on the bottom side of factory trim.

All my original trim has it.  I'd grab a pic but my trim is currently all tucked away.  I wouldnt be concerned using the trim without it especially if the car is garage kept.  Most cars I see dont have it or its broken off.  

most of my trim has it but its really brittle and broken off in spots, and the top one has like 4 2inch sections of it spaced out, making me think it was protecting the glass from the aluminum from making noise or scratching it, Ill get pictures of it today but that is exactly what I was talking about.

g3chevy wrote:Here is the stuff you need under your drip rails. Its not like what the factory used but it will work. Not sure what you mean "plastic that protects the glass from the touching edge of the trim around the front and rear window". Do you have a pic?

I ended up using truck cap seal and trimmed it where needed, seems to work pretty well.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:46 pm

the black plastic bit in the trim
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5516

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5517

riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm

but on the side note I got the windhshield in and the side window trim on.

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5518

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5519
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 pm

been working on re doing the engine bay wiring, old, mostly all brittle, faded, and honestly didn't feeling like worrying about someone else's gremlins so ran most new wire with new terminal crimps. Got all the light circuits done and where they need to be, and got most of the engine wires done, just a few I can't figure out; electric choke color wire, where the starter wires go, one is a power wire that junctions with the alternator power wire and has a fusible link on it, the other is either black, brown, or maybe even purple (i'm color blind, combined with 50 plus years of dirt and grime) and has like a plastic nub on it by the eyelet. that wire is original, wasn't sure if the nub was important

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5610
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5710

and where the wire shield goes. someone said one side mount to the starter its self, Im guessing the lug with 2 nuts on it on the back of the motor casing itself, just not sure where the other end goes,
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5711
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:59 am

The two small studs with nuts on the rear of your starter. If you look carefully right next to them, one of them should have an "S" on the plastic. Your purple wire, with the small ring end, should go there. Purple wire gets hot when you turn the ignition key to start. Its what tells the starter to crank the engine.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 pm

riddick75 wrote:...one is a power wire that junctions with the alternator power wire and has a fusible link on it,

That'll be the main feed back to the horn relay -- it's the primary feed for every circuit in the car.  From there it will branch out to everything else. Hence the connection from the alternator, as the alternator actually powers all that when the car is running.

riddick75 wrote: the other is either black, brown, or maybe even purple (i'm color blind, combined with 50 plus years of dirt and grime) and has like a plastic nub on it by the eyelet.

As Joe mentioned, that wire is actually purple and is the starter feed from the key to start the car.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:34 pm

thank you for the confirmations, I hooked the little wire to the s terminal, and the bigger one to the big lug. and with a little looking on here I found someone with a picture with the header off showing how the tube gets bolted to the tarter and the trans mount bolt.

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5712
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5713
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5714

next onto figure the rest of the wiring, mostly the choke wire and rebuilding the carb.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:32 pm

got some more done, carb is rebuilt, didn't look too bad, but the secondarys were seized closed so got those to work again, whats the point of a 4 barrel if you can't use it. got the instrument cluster in
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5715

got the bracket under the dash figured out
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5716

still a few wires I gotta get figured out where they go, like what connects to the right rear marker that goes up from the passenger side. none of the connectors match up. and a few more that I have no idea

this one, brown wire kinda reaches under the air box with a clip to keep it up somewhere
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5717
this one is a weird female spade type with a black wire that has another black wire that seemed to connect to make it longer but still no idea
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5720

and this one is like a pink and brown connected on one terminal and seems like it might go to the neutral safety switch
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5721

also got the passenger door panel on but the back edge seems like there is a huge gap between it and the door. but the top looks like it lines up perfectly.
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5722

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5723

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5724
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:59 pm

riddick75 wrote:this one, brown wire kinda reaches under the air box with a clip to keep it up somewhere
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5717

Check to see if it has 12V when you turn on the ign switch. If so, my guess is it's the main power feed for the selector switch. It appears to be the only free-roaming brown wire in the HVAC neighborhood. The other side of the connector will have 2 yellow wires, which transfer the juice to the selector and the thermoswitch on the engine block.

75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Select10
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm

riddick75 wrote:and this one is like a pink and brown connected on one terminal and seems like it might go to the neutral safety switch
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5721

The backup lamp switch will be pink and lt green.  Neutral will be two fat purples. This would appear to be that same feed for the HVAC (brown wire) from the fuse box, and the pink splices in to feed the GEN light.  This makes me think I'm looking at the wrong end of the brown wire in the previous post -- look at that wire and see where the other end is.  One end should be to this connector, and the other end should be the two yellow wires I mentioned.  It's possible I was thinking the loose end of the single brown wire above was the connector for the two yellow wires, when it actually might be the thing that connects to this one.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mislabeled b/u and neutral switches)
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:18 pm

riddick75 wrote:this one is a weird female spade type with a black wire that has another black wire that seemed to connect to make it longer but still no idea
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5720

Can you take a shot at a better angle, like from the side? Can't really make out anything here...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:31 pm

ok got better pictures and more info, and thank you for the help, when I got this before I tore it down the wiring was already removed on this body and the other one was hacked and slashed so I have very little to go on, most of it I was relying on the wires memory and following how it wanted to be to figure out what it went to. and I know gm liked making one harness fits all so there may be extra connectors and plugs that don't get used and the radio wires are a whole nother problem that I will have to contend with when I get one.

the brown wire by the air box is a male spade that is spliced with another brown wire at the thermal switch, with a yellow wire, both of the other ones go over the air box and I can't follow them.    
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5725
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5726

the neutral switch I have a 2 purple which I think is reverse light, and a green and pink which I think is from the ignition, and 2 more blades that I don't know about, should there be anything on them?
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5727

this is a side of the single black wire it goes into the large harness that goes to the back of the instrument cluster. and the black box might be the turn signal flasher maybe? goes into the same harness as that, and the second picture is with the wire that was attached to it reconnected, it has a single female terminal. and its long enough to reach anywhere in the cab so I'm at a loss. right now I'm not quite ready to put a battery on to test anything, worried about loose wires sparking, but soon I'll have to just to see what is missing.
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5730
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5731
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:10 pm

riddick75 wrote:the neutral switch I have a 2 purple which I think is reverse light, and a green and pink which I think is from the ignition, and 2 more blades that I don't know about, should there be anything on them?
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5727

Okay, I misspoke above (and I went back and corrected it), the pink/lt green are the backup lights, and the two fat purple wires (1 should have white stripes) are the neutral safety switch to the starter.  This is what happens when I look at this stuff without enough caffeine.

The remaining blades should for the seat belt sensors (yellow w/black stripe and a black wire).
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:42 pm

riddick75 wrote:the brown wire by the air box is a male spade that is spliced with another brown wire at the thermal switch, with a yellow wire, both of the other ones go over the air box and I can't follow them.    
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5725
75 el camino project.  - Page 6 Imgp5726

Okay, this one has me scratching my head.  That's not the thermo switch -- the thermo switch is screwed into the engine block.  The problem is I can't find that thing in any of the diagrams, either 73 or 76 (thinking maybe it came after my 73), and I can't find any combo of two browns and a yellow in the same connector.  Still looking, but I'm limited to the diagrams and manuals since all of that is gone in my car.  Maybe someone else can chime in with what that thing is, but I'll keep looking in the meantime. scratch
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next